lovely little game
A downloadable game for Windows and Linux
It was a cold and dark night at Spearmint Mountain.
A most powerful storm was raging. The worst storm of the century.
Suddenly, a lightning bolt struck the sacred mint at the summit.
Find out what happens next, in Spearmint Mountain!
Spearmint Mountain is a short but sweet action platformer, where you take control of a sentient piece of mint that's fallen off the big, sacred Mint. Pick up spear plants, and poke them at enemies or they'll crush you! Throw the spears at walls to create platforms, and bounce off of them to reach new heights!
There are also collectible mint coins hidden in difficult-to-reach locations. How many can you find?
Originally created in 48 hours for the 25th gm(48) gamejam
Game by Baku - @Bakufreak
Music by Rohbert - @AlexRohbert
- Increased default window size which was accidentally left very small in 1.1.0.
- Various changes to the game world, including new hidden areas and coins.
- Bats now follow player character's head instead of feet.
- Fixed a bug where spear platforms would become invisible and have collision enabled in incorrect rooms.
- Added new ending.
- Updated spike sprite.
- Added new icons that are shown when aiming a spear at a moving platform, or at something outside the camera's view.
- Added new spear breaking effect when throwing a spear at enemies or moving platforms.
- Added new sound effects.
- Added colliders around the moving platform at the end, and made the ending camera state properly reset in cases where it should reset.
- Tweaked ground pound. It's now activated by pressing [Z] on keyboard or (LB) or (RB) on gamepad anytime while in mid-air.
- Added typewriter effect to intro text, and made it not proceed automatically.
- Added support for Qwertz, Azerty and Dvorak, in addition to Qwerty, keyboards. Pick your layout on the starting splash screen.
- Other minor fixes.
Please note that the Ubuntu version of 1.1.1 was tested on a vm that doesn't support sound output. Please contact me if it doesn't work.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.
How do you "Grab / Poke" with the keyboard? I tried every button and none of the keys did anything... except for A, which seemed to do some kind of quick fall.
Press left/right on the title screen to switch between different keyboard layouts. There are tutorials in-game that should tell you which keys to press (these will show controller buttons instead if you have a controller plugged in).
Here's a quick reference of the action keys on the different keyboard layouts:
|Grab / poke:||X||X||X||O|
Thanks, but none of those keys are working for me.
The in-game hints are showing gamepad controls, but I don't have a gamepad connected. Could the game incorrectly think for some reason that I'm using a gamepad, and disable keyboard controls?
Edit: Sorry, I figured it out. I didn't realize that I had to interact with the spikes in the background.
Edit 2: Finished it! Short and sweet, thank you!
Do you happen to have a Xbox One controller anywhere becuase you can use that, and the A is the ground pound it lets you slam onto the stick things which bounces you.
Played your fun little game I loved it great for being made in 48 hours keep up the good work guys!
This was really neat! I would love to see this idea expanded upon!
I loved the game! The main character was super cute, the the art style was beautiful, and the music was amazing! The mechanics with using the spears was really cool! All in all, just really good job, everyhting is very well done! I made a video, I hope you enjoy!
Wow, i end the game with 9 magic coins at first run, ill collect all, thanks for make this game
This is a cool little game. You should run with it, really play with the spear throwing in a full game.
Awesome short game!
Strong mint has bold flavor!
The art was very good, the use of the game maker system was very wise, and it was a very enjoyable game! Good job!
And because lost mints needed a savior... I found 8 of them, are those all hidden? :)
Wow, What a great little story, Great use of the color green and a very enjoyable play. Well done DEVS. Thank you
This was a nice and enjoyable little game. It took me a bit to get past the final area but I had fun while doing so. Mechanics and art style are great, so I would definetly reccommend this to someone who wants to try something different.